Wednesday, February 16, 2011

I AM

Popeye, the spinach swilling sailor of cartoon fame, had a saying about himself that I shall never forget.  "I yam what I yam and I can't be any yammer."  That impressed me as a child growing up in a way that only a child could be.  That silly quote has stuck with me over the years; but, now it has an adult Christian perspective.

God spoke to Moses on the occasion of the burning bush in the desert.  (Exodus 3)  He told Moses that He had heard the cries of the Israelites and had seen their oppression.  He was sending Moses to lead His people out of Egypt.

Moses was reluctant.  "Who am I to go?', Moses replied.  God said in answer, "I will be with you."  "What do I tell the Israelites if they ask Your name?", Moses said, trying to get out of the job.  God gave Moses His name.  "I am who I am.  Tell them 'I Am' sent me." (verse 14).  He Who was, Who is and Who is to come.  That's Who God is.

In the New Testament, in the Gospel According to John, are recorded the well-known "I am" statements of Jesus.

  1.    I am the bread of life............John 6:35
  2.    I am the light of the world.....John 8:12
  3.    I am the door.......................John 10:9
  4.    I am the good shepherd........John 10:11
  5.    I am the resurrection and the life..John 11:25
  6.    I am the way, the truth and the life..John 14:6
  7.    I am the vine.........................John 15:5
 
There is no part of our lives that this does not cover.  He is who we need.  He is all we need.  In the Old Testament "I Am" sent Moses.  In the New Testament, "I AM" came to us and lived among us.  And, if you let Him, He will live in you.

How does the "I Am" name apply to us?  Two verses by Paul describes who and what we are.  In I Timothy 1:15, Paul said, "...Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief." (KJV)  Then, in I Corinthians 15:10a (KJV), the Great I Am meets the human "I am".  Paul said, "But by the grace of God, I am what I am..."


A song entitled "I Am Not Worthy", written by Beatrice Bush Bixler tells this story well.

     1.  I am not worthy the least of His favor,
          But Jesus left heaven for me;
          The Word became flesh and He died as my Savior,
          Forsaken on dark Calvary.
chorus:  I am not worthy this dull tongue repeats it!
             I am not worthy this heart gladly beats it!
             Jesus left heaven to die in my place.
             What mercy, what love and what grace!
     2.  I am not worthy the least of His favor,
          But "In the Beloved" I stand;
          Now I'm an heir with my wonderful Savior,
          And all things are mine at His hand.
     3.  I am not worthy the least of His favor,
          But He is preparing a place
          Where I shall dwell with my glorified Savior,
          Forever to look on His face.

If you are interested and will take a moment, you can hear a trombone solo of the melody of this song on youtube at the following address:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4moqu17ggim.



No comments:

Post a Comment