Wednesday, February 9, 2011

QUALIFICATIONS FOR PRAYING?

My daughter is married to an active pastor.  Recently they attended a state-wide "preachers' retreat."  These meetings include seminars, activities and worship services.  Generally speaking, this is a time of mental, physical and spiritual growth and development.  Therefore, most pastors and spouses look forward to this time in their schedules as "must attends."

After the recent event, my daughter related a story to me that she knew would be of interest to me.  At one of the worship services the leader called on one minister to lead the group in prayer.  The minister, in particular, was a devout, but humble soul, who had pastored for decades at the same church effectively.  My personal knowledge of and friendship with him made the following very believable.  The leader referred to this gentleman as "an icon among us."

My friend stood to pray, not having known in advance how he would be introduced.  He started his prayer, "Lord, You know that I'm no icon.  But, I know You and You know me."  My daughter didn't tell me what else he said.  She did say, however, that the impact the above words had on the whole group was profound and soul-searching.  His humility before his Almighty God was obvious.  But his relationship with Him was revealing. They knew each other personally.

I can't think of any better qualification for leading any group in prayer.  I can't wish to have more of an "in-road" to God than this when I pray--whatever the occasion, whatever the needs, whatever the situation.

Lord, You know everything about me.  Help me to learn all I can take in about You.

Over the next few weeks, perhaps months, my sharing with you will be about prayer.  It will especially be about the prayer life of Jesus.  Please comment to let me know your thoughts, your feelings and your needs.

1 comment:

  1. James... what a for sure soul searching comment!! For the whole idea that we can even come to the Father through Jesus Christ is humbling alone .. I so appreciate that HE knows me and knows my heart!! So many times I really mess up royally where people are concerned but Jesus knows my heart and how it was intended.! I can only keep my prayers at Lord Teach me.. Help me to be more like You.. to see people the way You see people and to respond the way You would.

    Thank you for your words that make us think and pray and want to be closer than we were just yesterday!
    Love you!!!

    ReplyDelete