Wednesday, January 26, 2011

PRAYERS AND PRAY--ERS

From cover to cover, the Bible includes prayers from the simplest entreaties to the most profound proclamations.    One sinner at the temple altar prayed, "God, be merciful to me, a sinner."  (Luke 18:13)  A father, who brought his child to Jesus for healing, prayed, "I believe, help Thou mine unbelief."  (Mark 9:24, KJV)  Abraham interceded on behalf of the city of Sodom.  (Gen. 18)  Moses interceded on behalf of the entire nation of Israelites on numerous occasions.  Solomon prayed his great prayer for understanding to judge the nation.  (I Kings 8:9).  He also prayed an exceptional prayer dedicating the completed temple. (I Kings 8)  The list of prayers and pray-ers goes on and on--Elijah, David, Daniel, the Church in the Book of Acts, Paul.....

The sinner above, who pleaded simply, but earnestly, "Be merciful to me, a sinner," Jesus said was justified. (Luke 18:14)  The father, who brought to Jesus his deaf and mute son for healing, and prayed, "Lord, I believe, help Thou mine unbelief," was rewarded by Jesus as He cast out the spirit that possessed his son. (Mark 9:25-27 KJV)  Abraham literally negotiated with God to save Sodom if just ten righteous souls could be found in it.  While it is true the God destroyed Sodom since He didn't find ten righteous people, verse 33 of the 18th chapter of Genesis reads, "And the Lord went His way as soon as He had left communicating with Abraham." (KJV)  James, in his letter in the New Testament, said Abraham "was called the Friend of God." (James 2:23 KJV)  If you bother to look up that last scripture in James, I recommend highly that you read the last 8 verses of James 5 (verses 13-20).

I don't normally have such an array of scriptural references in one sharing with you.  However, if you are a child of God and love His Word, it won't be too much trouble to look the scriptures up.  If, for no other reason, you can check me out.  That's a good reason to take your Bible to worship services.  Make sure your pastor is preaching the Word.

The prayers above range from a simple sinner's prayer that led to his forgiveness of sin and to his salvation to the prayers of people who were communicating with God in a far grander way.  But the pray-ers were persons who had a personal relationship with God or who developed one because of their prayerss.  It is a marvelous thing what God has done by providing a way for us to talk to Him.

It isn't my intention to end this in a frivolous manner, but communicating with God as a friend of His reminds me of Forrest Gump, played by Tom Hanks.  When asked what God's name was, his answer was, "That's easy.  His name is Andy.  Andy walks with me.  Andy talks with me.  Andy tells me I am His own."  That's reason enough for me to want to pray.  I, for sure, have plenty of other reasons, too.  You, for example.

No comments:

Post a Comment