Friday, August 24, 2012

REAL FRIENDS ARE FOREVER

As a teenager about to go to college, I was fortunate enough to have a pastor, who became one of my closest friends.  He was a special kind of person-easy to love and always loving in return.  He was a mentor to me before I knew what a mentor was.

This relationship developed into a friend/love situation with his entire family.  His wife was always willing to include me-in meals, in music, in family events.  She made me feel special and always welcome in her home and their lives.

Their children, three daughters and one son, were younger than I.  The daughters sang as a trio, with "perfect pitch" harmony-on the order of the Andrews sisters of the  40's or the White sisters of gospel music fame.

Typically, as a teenager, when I left home (and this relationship) to attend college, my entire life changed.  I went about my life with additional friends, marriage, children, career, etc.  In fact, I rarely saw them anymore.  However, I can honestly say, I never thought of them again without having the warmest possible feelings for friends and family.

The last time I had the occasion to see the husband and wife was approximately thirty years ago.  I was traveling through the city where they lived.  As only friends or family can do, I "dropped by" their home without even calling in advance.

Our visit was as if we had seen each other the week before.  The love for each other was as keen as before I left to continue my education.  Friends are like that--it lasts forever.

The last contact I had with the parents was nearly three years ago.  The wife had gone to the trouble of finding my current address and sending me a note.  This spurred me to the point of calling her to say "hi" after so many years.

Last week, I accidentally "stumbled" upon the envelope she had used to send me that note.  On it, I had made notes of phone numbers and addresses of the family.  In making sure of correct information, I "googled" his name on the internet.  What I found was his obituary from the first of this year.

I immediately began to attempt to call each member of the entire family.  The mother was unable to recognize me since she had lost almost all her hearing.  I was able to reach two of the daughters and the son.  How special those conversations were!

It was certainly sad to learn of my mentor's death.  But the sadness was not because of his death.  He, like Paul, had "run his race" and was at "home with the Lord."  The sadness was only in our missing him.  Even in missing him now, our sadness will turn to joy when we see him again.  And, our conversation then will be as though we had just seen him.

In the process of talking to his children, I also learned that the mother is having a birthday next week.  She'll be 90!!  I'm hoping she has a happy birthday although I'm sure she misses her husband of 68 years!  Some day soon, she will be able to "drop by" to see him and stay.  What a reunion that will be!

REAL FRIENDS ARE FOREVER.  To tell the truth, I'm looking forward to our "catching up" as only real friends can.

Enjoy your friends while you can.
Make certain you can enjoy them forever.

Share this with all your friends.


1 comment:

  1. tears !!! Oh the love of friendships that last a lifetime! Thanks for your 'gentle reminder' to make that call or send that note that have been on my mind and been 'meaning' to do! You are so right... enjoy your friends while you can here on earth.. but mostly .. make certain you can enjoy them forever!!! Love you Uncle James!!!!

    ReplyDelete